About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Old Noarlunga is 1,690, with a population density of 5.38 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Old Noarlunga is bounded by Main South Road, Church Hill Road and Piggott Range Road in the north, the localities of Onkaparinga Hills and McLaren Vale and Barytes Road in the east, Quarry Road and Robinsons Road in the south, and Eric Road and Seaford Road in the west.
Old Noarlunga is named for the original township of Noarlunga, which is thought to be named from an Aboriginal word meaning "fishing place" or “the place with the hill”.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (3 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1840, when the township of Noarlunga (now known as Old Noarlunga) was established, being a district centre until it was overtaken by Noarlunga Centre and had its name changed. Land was used mainly for farming, particularly cereal crops. The most significant development occurred during the post-war years. The population increased gradually from the mid 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area.
Old Noarlunga is a rural and residential area.
Major features of the area include Onkaparinga River National Park, Market Square Reserve, Hutchinson Reserve, Noarlunga Recreation Ground, Noarlunga Oval and one school.