About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for McLaren Vale is 4,088, with a population density of 15.44 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
McLaren Vale is bounded by the Onkaparinga River in the north, Amery Road, Foggo Road, Sand Road, Oakley Road, Truscott Road and the locality of The Range in the east, Binney Road, Malpas Road and Victor Harbor Road in the south, and Tatachilla Road, Main South Road, the suburb of Seaford Heights, Ostrich Farm Road, Victor Harbor Road, Quarry Road, Barytes Road and a line running continuous of Barytes Road in the west.
McLaren Vale is thought to be named after David McLaren, the Colonial Manager of the South Australia Company, or after John McLaren, who surveyed the area in 1839.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1840s, with land used mainly for farming, particularly cereal crops. The township of McLaren Vale was originally two villages that were established in the 1850s. From the 1860s grape growing was established, with McLaren Vale becoming one of South Australia's most important wine making regions. The most significant development occurred during the post-war years, with subdivisions in the township in the 1980s and 1990s. The population increased between 1991 and 2006 as new dwellings were added to the area. The population was relatively stable between 2006 and 2011, a result of few new dwellings being added and a decline in dwelling occupancy rates.
McLaren Vale includes a township and surrounding rural areas. Rural land is used mainly for vineyards and fruit and berry production.
Major features of the area include Onkaparinga River National Park, McLaren Vale & Districts War Memorial Hospital, McLaren Vale Central Shopping Centre, Chapmans Reserve, Ellis Park, Gemmel Tassie Reserve, Lions Park, McLaren Vale Oval, Park Hill Sanctuary, Powell Park, Rotary Park, numerous wineries and vineyards, the Coast to Vines Rail Trail and one school.