About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for McLaren Flat is 1,507, with a population density of 0.26 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
McLaren Flat is bounded by Kays Road, Beltunga Road, Blewitt Springs Road, Douglas Gully Road, Clayton Road and McLaren Flat Road in the north, Toops Hill Road, Wickham Hill Road and Range Road in the east, the locality of The Range, Truscott Road, Oakley Road and Sand Road in the south, and Foggo Road in the west.
McLaren Flat is thought to be named after David McLaren, the Colonial Manager of the South Australia Company, or after John McLaren, who surveyed the area in 1839.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (58 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates primarily from the late 1800s. Some growth took place from the 1880s into the early 1900s as land became used for vineyards and orchards. Population was minimal until the 1990s. The population increased from the early 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area, with rapid growth between 2006 and 2011.
McLaren Flat includes a small township and surrounding rural areas. Rural land is used mainly for grazing, farming and viticulture.
Major features of the area include numerous wineries, Dawson Reserve, McLaren Flat Recreation Ground and one school.