About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Riverwood is 6,613, with a population density of 26.92 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Riverwood is bounded by Wiggs Road, Belmore Road, the suburb of Punchbowl and Eva Street in the north, Leigh Avenue, the suburb of Roselands, Karne Street, Yardley Avenue and Churchill Avenue in the east, Broad Arrow Road, Bonds Road, Josephine Street, Killara Avenue and the Georges River Council area in the south, and Salt Pan Creek in the west.
Riverwood is thought to be named after a small arm of the Salt Pan Creek. It was previously called Herne Bay.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1810 when the first land grant was made. The US Army had a hospital in the area from 1942 to 1945, which was taken over by the Royal Australian Navy. After the Second World War the site passed to the NSW Housing Commission and the army’s timber huts were used to ease the post-war housing shortage. Significant development occurred during the 1950s when the Housing Commission began to build medium and high density housing complexes. The population declined slightly from the early 1990s, a result of little change in dwelling stock and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Riverwood is an established residential area, with some industrial land use.
Major features of the area include Salt Pan Creek Wetlands, Bennett Park, Bland Oval, Kentucky Road Reserve, Lance Hutchinson Oval, McLaughlin Oval, Rotary Park, Whitmarsh Park, Wise Reserve, Morris Iemma Indoor Sports Centre, Riverwood Skate Park and two schools.
This area encompasses the City of Canterbury Bankstown part of the suburb of Riverwood, with the remaining part of the suburb located in the Georges River Council area.