About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Belmore is 13,644, with a population density of 49.17 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Belmore is bounded by the railway line in the north, Palmer Street, Tudor Street, Canterbury Road, Chelmsford Avenue, Chisholm Avenue and Kingsgrove Road in the east, Forsyth Street in the south, and Chapel Street, Peel Street and Benaroon Street in the west.
Belmore is named after the Earl of Belmore, a former NSW Governor.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (3 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates primarily from the interwar period, although the first land grant was made in 1804. The area remained a sparsely settled agricultural community until the late 1800s, mainly due to transport difficulties. The first major subdivisions occurred after the arrival of the railway in 1895, with the most significant growth taking place during the interwar period. The population fluctuated slightly from the early 1990s due to small changes in dwelling stock and the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Belmore is an established residential area, with commercial areas along Burwood Road.
Major features of the area include Belmore Sports Ground, the retail area along Burwood Road, Allegra Reserve, Marie Street Reserve, Peter Moore Field, Terry Lamb Reserve and numerous schools.