About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Kingsgrove is 6,490, with a population density of 28.70 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Kingsgrove is bounded by Rogers Street, Forsyth Street and William Street in the north, Bexley Road in the east, the South Western Motorway in the south, and Rosebank Avenue, the Canterbury Golf Course, Lees Road, Moorefields Road and Armitree Street in the west.
Kingsgrove is thought to be named after the original property in the area “Kings Grove Farm”, which was probably named after Governor Phillip Gidley King.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates from the late 1800s, although the first land grant was made in 1804. The area was characterised by forest and timber getting until the mid 1800s. Development began to occur in the 1880s and 1890s when the railway lines were opened, then again in the early 1900s when a tram line was in operation. By the early 1900s, there were slaughter yards, market gardens, dairies and poultry farms scattered through the area. Significant development occurred after the opening of the Tempe to East Hills railway in 1931, although growth was slow until the 1940s. The population fluctuated slightly between 1991 and 2011, a result of small changes in dwelling stock and the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Kingsgrove is an established residential and industrial area.
Major features of the area include Beaumont Park, Clemton Park, Jack Chesher Reserve, Kingsbury Reserve and two schools.
Parts of the suburb of Kingsgrove are located in Rockdale and Hurstville Cities.