Campsie - Clemton Park
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Campsie - Clemton Park is 24,899, with a population density of 67.40 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Campsie - Clemton Park is bounded by the Cooks River in the north, the railway line, Oswald Lane, Redman Street, Gould Street, Canterbury Road, Northcote Street, Wearne Street and the suburb of Canterbury in the east, Bexley Road and William Street in the south, and Kingsgrove Road, Chisholm Avenue, Chelmsford Avenue, Canterbury Road, Tudor Street, Palmer Street, Loftus Street, the railway line, Albert Street, Lincoln Street, Ninth Avenue and First Avenue in the west.
Campsie is thought to be named after a district in Scotland, or could be a name derived from the “Camp Site – Camp of Tom Sparks”.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates primarily from the early 1900s, although the first land grant was in 1804. In the 1800s the area was mostly bushland, with some slaughterhouses, market gardens, dairies and orchards. In the 1880s the Anglo-Australian Investment, Finance and Land Company subdivided land called the "Campsie Park Estate". Two other farms were subdivided soon after this. However, growth was slow until the early 1910s. Significant development occurred in the 1910s and 1920s. The population increased slightly from the early 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Campsie - Clemton Park is an established residential area, with some industrial and commercial land use.
Major features of the area include Canterbury Hospital, Tresillian Centre Canterbury, Council Offices, the retail area along Beamish Street (including Campsie Centre), Harcourt Reserve, Mildura Reserve, Yatama Park and several schools.