About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Canterbury is 7,582, with a population density of 38.81 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Canterbury is bounded by the suburb of Ashbury, Canterbury Park, Holden Street and Princess Street in the north, Canterbury Road, Church Street and Cup and Saucer Creek in the east, the walking track and the suburb of Earlwood in the south, and Scahill Street, Wearne Street, Northcote Street, Canterbury Road, Gould Street, Redman Street, Oswald Lane, the railway line and the Cooks River in the west.
Canterbury is named after the first property in the area, “Canterbury Vale”.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates primarily from the late 1800s, although the first land grant was in 1793, when the area was used mainly for farming. Some development occurred in the 1840s when a sugar processing plant operated in the area, although this closed in 1854. Significant development occurred in the 1890s, spurred largely by the completion of the railway and the establishment of the racecourse. Many horse and pony trainers moved into the area in the 1880s and 1890s. The population declined slightly between 1996 and 2006, and then increased between 2006 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Canterbury is an established residential area.
Major features of the area include Canterbury Park Racecourse, Canterbury Aquatic and Fitness Centre, Canterbury Olympic Ice Rink, Canterbury Park, Blick Oval, Campbell Athletic Field, Mary MacKillop Reserve, Pat O’Connor Reserve, Tasker Park, the Canterbury railway station and several schools.