About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Ashbury is 3,367, with a population density of 34.34 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Ashbury is bounded by the Inner West Council area in the north, Holden Street in the east, Canterbury Park and the Canterbury Park Racecourse in the south, and the Cooks River, the suburb of Croydon Park, Leith Street and Leopold Street in the west.
Ashbury is named from the conjoining of the names of the surrounding suburbs Ashfield and Canterbury. It was previously called Goodlet’s Bush Area.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates primarily from 1919, although the first land grant was in 1793, when the area was used mainly for farming. Significant development occurred in the 1920s, when a school, church, post office and brickyard were established. In 1924 the Suburban Land and Investment Co. sold strips of land along King Street, Holden Street and the eastern end of Goodlet Street to several builders. The brickyard ceased operation in the mid 1900s, was purchased by the NSW Government in 1978 for use as open space, and was officially opened as Peace Park in 1987. The population and dwelling stock were relatively stable from the early 1990s.
Ashbury is an established residential area.
Major features of the area include Lees Park, Peace Park, W H Wagener Oval and Ashbury Public School.
This area encompasses the City of Canterbury Bankstown part of the suburb of Ashbury, with the remaining part of the suburb located in the Inner West Council area.