About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Punchbowl is 20,945, with a population density of 47.04 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Punchbowl is bounded by Wattle Street, Koala Road and Punchbowl Road in the north, Robinson Street North, Robinson Street South, Rawson Street, The Mall, Canterbury Road and Bonds Road in the east, the suburb of Riverwood, Belmore Road, Wiggs Road and the drain in the south, and Salt Pan Creek, Canterbury Road, Stacey Street South, Boxley Crescent, Stacey Street, Daphne Avenue, Columbine Avenue, Scott Street, the railway line and Carrisbrook Avenue in the west.
Punchbowl is thought to be named after a pond on a farm in the area called “Punchbowl”, or the name of an inn located in the area in 1830. It was previously called Salt Pan Creek.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1809 when the first land grant was made. Growth was slow through most of the 1800s, with the area being characterised by forest, farming and woodcutting. Land was subdivided in 1880 and bought mainly by speculators. Significant development occurred during the interwar period. The railway station was opened in 1909 and the Emerald Hills Estate was subdivided just before this, with more subdivision between 1912 and 1921. Land was also subdivided further west in the 1920s, developed mainly as bungalow style houses. Significant development took place during the post-war years. The population generally increased from the early 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area.
Punchbowl is an established residential area, with some industrial land use, and commercial areas along Punchbowl Road and near the railway station.
Major features of the area include Punchbowl Park, Arthur Park, George Cayley Reserve, Salmon Reserve, Warren Reserve, Canterbury Bankstown Tennis and Bowls Club, the Punchbowl railway station and numerous schools.