About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Earlwood is 18,593, with a population density of 33.16 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Earlwood is bounded by the Cooks River in the north and east, Wolli Creek in the south, and Bexley Road and Cup and Saucer Creek in the west.
Earlwood is thought to be named after Earl, James and William Wood, early settlers in the area. It was previously known as Parkes Camp, then Parkestown, and later as Forest Hill.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (6 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates primarily from the 1910s, although the first land grant was in 1816. The area was characterised mainly by timber cutting until the 1870s. Land was subdivided in 1884 and then re-subdivided in 1905. Most of the area was still forest and scrubland in 1910, with a small community at Undercliffe and a few dairies. Significant development occurred during the 1910s and 1920s. The population and dwelling stock were relatively stable from the early 1990s.
Earlwood is an established residential area, with commercial land use along Homer Street.
Major features of the area include Wolli Creek Regional Park, Canterbury Velodrome, Beaman Park, Earlwood Oval, Gough Whitlam Park, Hughes Park, McPherson Reserve, Montgomery Reserve, Sutton Reserve, Thompson Reserve, Waterworth Park, Wills Ground, the retail area around Homer Street and several schools.