Service age groups
Rowville had a similar proportion of pre-schoolers and a lower proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Knox in 2016.
The Age Structure of Rowville provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Rowville's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Rowville in 2016 compared to City of Knox shows that there was a higher proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a lower proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 23.1% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 17.1% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 21.4% and 21.6% respectively for City of Knox.
The major differences between the age structure of Rowville and City of Knox were:
- A larger percentage of 'Older workers and pre-retirees (50 to 59)' (16.1% compared to 14.0%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69)' (9.6% compared to 11.3%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Seniors (70 to 84)' (6.5% compared to 8.3%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Young workforce (25 to 34)' (11.7% compared to 13.2%)
From 2011 to 2016, Rowville's population decreased by 435 people (1.3%). This represents an average annual population change of -0.26% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49) (-1,306 people)
- Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69) (+733 people)
- Older workers and pre-retirees (50 to 59) (+683 people)
- Secondary schoolers (12 to 17) (-638 people)