About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Wantirna South is 20,253, with a population density of 14.35 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Wantirna South is bounded by Burwood Highway, Stud Road and Boronia Road in the north, Lewis Road, Wadhurst Drive, Lewis Road, Woodbine Court, Lewis Road, Appleberry Close, Knoxfield Lake, Wallace Road, Belindavale Drive and the suburb of Scoresby in the east, Joelson Avenue, Stud Road, George Street and a line running continuous of George Street in the south, and Dandenong Creek in the west.
Wantirna South is named for the area to the west of Wantirna, which was named from an Aboriginal word meaning "a gurgling stream".
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (14 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1842, with land used mainly for grazing. Population was minimal until the 1870s, when many orchards were established. Significant development did not occur until the post-war years, with growth in the north particularly during the 1950s and 1960s. Rapid residential growth continued during the 1970s and 1980s, accompanied by the opening of Knox City Shopping Centre in 1977. The population increased slightly during the 1990s, and then was relatively stable between 2001 and 2011, a result of some new dwellings being added to the area, but a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling. Growth is expected in the future, largely from residential development of the former brickworks site on Stud Road.
Wantirna South is an established residential area, with some commercial areas, and substantial parklands in the west.
Major features of the area include Westfield Knox Shopping Centre (including Knox O-Zone), Swinburne University of Technology TAFE Division (Wantirna Campus), Council offices, Dandenong Valley Parklands, Lewis Park, Nortons Park, Balmoral Gardens Reserve, Flamingo Reserve, Knox Gardens Reserve, Llewellyn Park, Walker Reserve, Knox Gardens Shopping Centre, Studfield Shopping Centre, Villa Maria Society for the Blind, The Knox School and a number of other schools.