Ferntree Gully had a similar proportion of pre-schoolers and a similar proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Knox in 2016.
The Age Structure of Ferntree Gully provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Ferntree Gully's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Ferntree Gully in 2016 compared to City of Knox shows that there was a similar proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) as well as a similar proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 21.1% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 22.0% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 21.4% and 21.6% respectively for City of Knox.
The major differences between the age structure of Ferntree Gully and City of Knox were:
- A larger percentage of 'Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49)' (21.5% compared to 20.6%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Older workers and pre-retirees (50 to 59)' (13.1% compared to 14.0%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Tertiary education and independence (18 to 24)' (8.4% compared to 9.3%)
From 2011 to 2016, Ferntree Gully's population increased by 366 people (1.4%). This represents an average annual population change of 0.28% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Seniors (70 to 84) (+473 people)
- Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69) (+256 people)
- Secondary schoolers (12 to 17) (-184 people)
- Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49) (-148 people)