About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Wantirna is 14,060, with a population density of 17.01 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Wantirna is bounded by Dandenong Creek in the north and west, a line east of the J W Manson Reserve, Mountain Highway, Shetland Drive and Stud Road in the east, and Burwood Highway in the south.
Wantirna is named from an Aboriginal word meaning "a gurgling stream". It was originally known as Bayswater West.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (8 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1842, with land used mainly for grazing. Population was minimal until the 1870s, when many orchards were established. Significant development did not occur until the post-war years. Growth was initially to the north of Boronia Road, spreading to the south in the 1970s and 1980s. The population has declined slightly since the early 1990s, a result of some new dwellings being added to the area, but a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Wantirna is an established residential area.
Major features of the area include Knox Private Hospital, Wantirna Health, Wantirna Mall Shopping Centre, Wantirna Trash and Treasure Market, Dandenong Valley Parklands, Koomba Park, J W Manson Reserve, Milpera Reserve, Schultz Reserve, Templeton Reserve, Wantirna Reserve, William Morris Reserve, Bateman Street Bushland, Melbourne School of Theology and a number of schools.