About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Ferntree Gully is 26,817, with a population density of 18.57 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Ferntree Gully is bounded by Blind Creek, Renown Street, Underwood Road, Koolunga Native Reserve, Forest Road, Harnett Street and Arbor Avenue in the north, the western boundary of the Dandenong Ranges National Park, Walbundry Avenue, Ladys Walk, Quarry Road, Burwood Highway, Acacia Road and Ferny Creek in the east, Napoleon Road, Blackwood Park Road and Monbulk Creek in the south, and Corhanwarrabul Creek, Knox Park, Ferntree Gully Road, Scoresby Road and Fairhills High School in the west.
Ferntree Gully is named for the feature of the same name running along Ferntree Gully Creek at Tremont in the Dandenong Ranges National Park. It was originally known as Lightwood Gully.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (14 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1870s, due to the area becoming a popular excursion destination. Growth took place during the late 1800s, spurred by the opening of the railway line in 1889. Expansion continued during the early 1900s, when many boarding houses were built and the area became popular for retreats. Significant development occurred during the post-war years. The population was relatively stable between 1991 and 2006, and then increased slightly between 2006 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Ferntree Gully is an established residential area, with commercial areas near the railway station and along Burwood Highway and Ferntree Gully Road.
Major features of the area include Waterford Valley Golf Course, Mountain Gate Shopping Centre, Mountain Gate Plaza, Knox Regional Netball Centre, Knox Sherbrooke Swimming Centre, Ambleside Homestead, Tim Neville Arboretum, Dobson Park, Fairpark Reserve, H V Jones Park, Kent Park, Norvel Road Reserve, Pickett Reserve, Reta Matthews Reserve, Wally Tew Reserve, Windermere Reserve, Koolunga Native Reserve, Ferntree Gully Community Centre and a number of schools.