About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for St Albans is 38,393, with a population density of 29.45 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
St Albans is bounded by Taylors Road in the north, Sunshine Avenue in the east, the Western Ring Road and Jones Creek in the south and Gladstone Street, Station Road and Kings Road in the west.
St Albans is named after a place in Hertfordshire, England.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (13 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1880s, with the township established in 1887. Land was used mainly for farming. Development of the area slowed with the depression of the late 1890s. Significant development did not occur until the post-war years, aided by immigration. Rapid growth took place during the 1950s and 1960s. The population has fluctuated slightly since the early 1990s, a result of small changes in dwelling stock and the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
St Albans is an established residential area, with a commercial area around the intersection of Main Road East and the railway line.
Major features of the area include Victoria University (St Albans Campus), Sunshine Hospital, Western Day Surgery, St Albans Shopping Centre, St Albans Market, Biggs Street Reserve, Churchill Reserve, Errington Reserve, Glenmaggie Reserve, International Gardens Reserve, Jamieson Street Reserve, Larisa Reserve, McKechnie Park, Sunshine Park, Wahgunyah Drive Reserve, the St Albans, Ginifer and Keilor Plains railway stations and numerous schools.