About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Deer Park is 19,198, with a population density of 22.31 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Deer Park is bounded by Neale Road, the Brimbank Central Shopping Centre and Station Road in the north, Mumil Court, Trinacria Court, Dunbarrim Avenue, the Kororoit Creek, the Western Highway and the Western Ring Road in the east, Foleys Road in the south and Robinsons Road and Kororoit Creek in the west.
Deer Park is named after the stock of game deer which the Melbourne Hunt Club used to keep in the area. It was originally known as Kororoit Creek.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (9 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1850s, with growth around the present day railway line and Ballarat Road. An explosives factory (now Orica) was established in 1874. Industrial growth continued in the early 1900s. Significant residential development did not occur until the 1960s. The population declined slightly between 1991 and 2006, a result of little change in dwelling stock and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling. The population increased substantially between 2006 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area, largely from development between the railway line and Foleys Road.
Deer Park is a residential and industrial area.
Major features of the area include Brimbank Central Shopping Centre, Isabella Williams Memorial Reserve, Deer Park Urban Forest, Robert Bruce Reserve, Bon Thomas Reserve, Davitt Drive Reserve, John McLeod Reserve, Millbank Drive Reserve, Sassella Park, St Andrews Park, Tamar Drive Reserve, Hunt Club Community Arts Centre, the Orica plant, the Deer Park railway station and numerous schools.