About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Cairnlea is 10,264, with a population density of 22.86 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Cairnlea is bounded by Gladstone Street and the transmission line in the north, Jones Creek and the Western Ring Road in the east, the Western Highway, Kororoit Creek, Dunbarrim Avenue, Trinacria Court and Mumil Court in the south and Station Road in the west.
Cairnlea is named in honour of the Australian explorers Hume and Hovell, who trekked through the area, with "cairn" meaning a monument, and "lea" meaning a paddock.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates primarily from 1999. Prior to this the area was used by the Albion Explosives Factory as a defence manufacturing site from 1939 to the mid 1980s. The rapid expansion of the VicUrban Cairnlea estate resulted in a very large increase in population between 2001 and 2006, to over 6,000 people. Growth continued between 2006 and 2011, although at a slower rate, as large numbers of new dwellings continued to be added to the area.
Cairnlea is a recent residential area.
Major features of the area include Cairnlea Town Centre, Iramoo Wildflower Grassland Reserve, Elford Green Reserve, Glenbrook Waters, Kevin Flint Memorial Reserve, Longwood Green, Moorland Park, Shearwater Meadow, Station Waters, Stockton Run Reserve, Waterfield Park, Cairnlea Community Hub, Victorian Croquet Centre and one school.