About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Thebarton is 1,486, with a population density of 12.77 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Thebarton is bounded by the River Torrens in the north, Port Road in the east, Kintore Street in the south and South Road in the west.
Thebarton is named after Theberton Hall in Suffolk, England.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1838, being the first section of land surveyed outside the City of Adelaide. Growth was minimal until the mid 1800s, with land used mainly for farming. Residential and industrial expansion took place in the late 1800s, aided by proximity and access to Adelaide. Growth continued in the interwar period. The population declined in the post-war years, due to industrial changes and gentrification. The population declined slightly during the 1990s, and then increased slightly between 2001 and 2011.
Thebarton is an established residential area, with industrial areas in the north, along the River Torrens.
Major features of the area include Dove Street Reserve, Metro Waste Transfer & Recycling Centre and the River Torrens Linear Park.