About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Airport Ward is 8,359, with a population density of 6.15 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Airport Ward is bounded by Henley Beach Road in the north, Marion Road, Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Clifford Street and the eastern boundary of the Adelaide Airport in the east, the southern boundary of the Adelaide Airport, James Melrose Road, Warren Avenue, Tapleys Hill Road and Anderson Avenue in the south and the Gulf St Vincent, a line running continuous of Siesta Avenue, Siesta Avenue, Cambridge Avenue, Mayfair Drive and Burnley Street in the west.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (14 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1830s, with land used mainly for farming, market gardening, vineyards and dairies. Growth took place from the 1870s into the early 1900s, aided by improved access. Expansion continued in the interwar period. Significant development occurred during the post-war years. Adelaide Airport was constructed in 1955. The population increased slightly from the mid 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area.
Airport Ward is an established residential and airport area.
Major features of the area include Adelaide Airport, Harbour Town Shopping Centre, Adelaide Shores Golf, West Beach Mini Golf, Kooyonga Golf Club, Anderson Reserve, Apex Park, Barratt Reserve, Coral Sea Reserve, Helenslea Avenue Reserve, Lockleys Oval, Lysle Street Reserve, University Playing Field, Reedbeds Community Centre, Reece Jennings Bikeway, Glenelg Wastewater Treatment Plant, Adelaide College of Divinity, the River Torrens and two schools.
Airport Ward encompasses the suburb of Adelaide Airport, parts of the suburbs of Brooklyn Park, Fulham, Glenelg North and Lockleys, and the City of West Torrens part of the suburb of West Beach.