About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Box Hill is 942, with a population density of 0.63 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Box Hill is bounded by Maguires Road and the locality of Maraylya in the north, the locality of Nelson, Old Pitt Town Road, Nelson Road, Edwards Road, the locality of Rouse Hill and Box Road in the east, Cattai Creek and Windsor Road in the south, and Boundary Road in the west.
Box Hill is thought to be named after either a stand of box trees that were once in the area, or the hunting boxes once built on the tops of hills in the area.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (15 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1801 when the first land grant was made, although population was minimal until the 1820s. Land was used mainly for orcharding and market gardening. Some growth took place in the 1880s and 1890s. The most significant development occurred from the 1950s. The population has fluctuated slightly since the early 1990s, a result of small changes in dwelling stock, dwelling occupancy rates and the average number of persons living in each dwelling. Growth is expected in the future, with Box Hill being a second release precinct of the North West Growth Centre.
Box Hill is a rural and low density residential area.
Major features of the area include Killarney Golf Driving Range and Turnbull Reserve.
This area encompasses the locality of Box Hill and a small section of The Hills Shire part of the locality of Maraylya.