Annangrove - Nelson - Maraylya
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Annangrove - Nelson - Maraylya is 2,279, with a population density of 0.87 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Annangrove - Nelson - Maraylya is bounded by Cattai Creek in the north, Blue Gum Creek and Annangrove Road in the east, Cattai Creek, the suburb of Rouse Hill, Edwards Road, Nelson Road, Old Pitt Town Road and the locality of Box Hill in the south, and Maguires Road, Boundary Road and the continuation of Boundary Road in the west.
Annangrove is named after the town of Annan in Scotland. Nelson is named after Admiral Horatio Nelson, the hero of the Battle of Trafalgar. Maraylya is thought to be named from an Aboriginal word.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (26 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1794 when the first land grant was made, although population was minimal until the 1820s. Land was used mainly for timber-getting and orcharding. Some growth took place in the 1880s and 1890s. The most significant development occurred in the post-war years. The population has fluctuated slightly since the early 1990s, a result of small changes in dwelling stock and the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Annangrove - Nelson - Maraylya is predominantly rural, with some industrial areas. Rural land is used for nurseries, hobby farms and equestrian purposes.
Major features of the area include Annangrove Aquatic & Leisure Centre, Annangrove Racquet Centre, Annangrove Park, Langlands Oval and one school.
This area encompasses the localities of Annangrove and Nelson, most of The Hills Shire part of the locality of Maraylya, and a small part of the locality of Kenthurst. A small part of the locality of Maraylya is included in the Box Hill small area, with the western part of the locality located in Hawkesbury City.