West Pennant Hills
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for West Pennant Hills is 13,707, with a population density of 17.57 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
West Pennant Hills is bounded by Castle Hill Road in the north, Pennant Hills Road in the east, the Hills (M2) Motorway, Blue Gum Creek and Darling Mills Creek in the south, and Excelsior Creek and the suburb of Castle Hill in the west.
West Pennant Hills is named for the area west of Pennant Hills, which was thought to be named after Sir Thomas Pennant, a botanist colleague of Sir Joseph Banks.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (8 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1796 when the first land grant was made. Land was used mainly for farming and timber-getting. Population was minimal until the 1890s, aided the opening of the railway line and the establishment of many orchards. The most significant growth occurred in the post-war years. The population increased substantially during the 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area. The population declined marginally between 2001 and 2011, a result of little change in dwelling stock and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
West Pennant Hills is a predominantly residential area.
Major features of the area include Cumberland State Forest, Bellamy Farm Reserve, Bidjigal Reserve, George Thornton Reserve, Henry Curtis Reserve, Coonara Shopping Centre, West Pennant Hills Valley Community Centre and Mount Wilberforce Lookout.
This area encompasses The Hills Shire parts of the suburbs of Carlingford and West Pennant Hills. Most of the suburb of Carlingford is located in the City of Parramatta. Part of the suburb of West Pennant Hills is located in Hornsby Shire.