Service age groups
Mulgrave had a higher proportion of pre-schoolers and a higher proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Monash in 2016.
The Age Structure of Mulgrave provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Mulgrave's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Mulgrave in 2016 compared to City of Monash shows that there was a higher proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) as well as a higher proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 20.5% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 24.1% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 19.1% and 21.9% respectively for City of Monash.
The major differences between the age structure of Mulgrave and City of Monash were:
- A larger percentage of 'Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69)' (10.8% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of 'Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49)' (20.8% compared to 19.5%)
- A larger percentage of 'Babies and pre-schoolers (0 to 4)' (6.3% compared to 5.1%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Tertiary education and independence (18 to 24)' (8.6% compared to 13.3%)
From 2011 to 2016, Mulgrave's population increased by 1,712 people (9.7%). This represents an average annual population change of 1.87% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Seniors (70 to 84) (+448 people)
- Primary schoolers (5 to 11) (+360 people)
- Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49) (+354 people)
- Young workforce (25 to 34) (+262 people)