About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Mulgrave is 19,902, with a population density of 18.57 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Mulgrave is bounded by Ferntree Gully Road, Springvale Road, the Monash Freeway and Wellington Road in the north, Dandenong Creek in the east, Police Road and Dandenong Road in the south, and a line running parallel to Garden Street and the proposed arterial road in the west.
Mulgrave is named after the Earl of Mulgrave, Secretary of State for the Colonies, 1839-1841. It was previously known as Springvale North.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (11 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1850s. Significant development did not occur until the post-war years, with growth particularly from the 1960s. Growth took place firstly to the west of the Monash Freeway, and then spread to the areas east of Jacksons Road following the development of Waverley (VFL) Park in the 1970s. The population declined slightly during the 1990s, and then increased slightly between 2001 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area, particularly from the Waverley Park Estate on the car parks of the former stadium. Growth on this site is expected to continue.
Mulgrave is an established residential area, with some industrial areas.
Major features of the area include Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre, The Valley Private Hospital, Sir Kennett Luke Stand (Waverley Park), the Hawthorn Football Club headquarters at Waverley Park, Freeway Reserve, Gladeswood Reserve, Southern Reserve, Wellington Reserve, Mulgrave Community Centre, Stirling Theological College, Mazenod College and a number of other schools.