About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Clayton is 18,377, with a population density of 23.32 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Clayton is bounded by Ferntree Gully Road, Gardiner Road, Normanby Road, Blackburn Road, Duerdin Street, Nantilla Road and Dunlop Road in the north, the proposed arterial road, Dandenong Road and Westall Road in the east, Centre Road in the south, and Scotsburn Avenue, Robinson Street, Colin Road, North Road and Clayton Road in the west.
Clayton is named after Clayton Vale, an early property in the area.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (8 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1850s, with land used mainly for farming. The original township of Clayton was based on Dandenong Road. The opening of the railway in 1878 saw a new township develop in modern day Clayton. The area remained largely rural until the post-war years. Significant residential and industrial development took place from the 1960s. Monash University was opened in 1961. The population increased from the mid 1990s, with growth particularly between 2001 and 2011, a result of new dwellings being added to the area, including student accommodation.
Clayton is an established mixed use area, with residential, industrial, institutional and commercial land uses.
Major features of the area include Monash University, Monash University Halls of Residence, Monash Medical Centre (Clayton Campus), Jessie McPherson Private Hospital, Sir John Monash Private Hospital, CSIRO Australia, Australian Synchrotron Facility, Clayton Shopping Centre, Monash Home Maker Centre, Robert Blackwood Hall, Clayton Community Centre, Carlson Avenue Reserve, Fregon Reserve, Marshall Reserve, Meade Reserve, Clayton railway station and several schools.