About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Mount Waverley is 35,833, with a population density of 23.61 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Mount Waverley is bounded by Highbury Road in the north, Blackburn Road in the east, Ferntree Gully Road in the south, and Huntingdale Road in the west.
Mount Waverley is named after Sir Walter Scott's Waverley novels.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (15 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1853 when a privately surveyed township was established on the corner of High Street Road and Stephensons Road. However, development was slow, with land used largely for farms and orchards, and population was minimal until the early 1900s. Significant development occurred during the post-war years, with rapid growth through to the 1970s. The population declined slightly during the early 1990s, and then increased slightly from the mid 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area.
Mount Waverley is an established residential area, with some commercial areas, and an industrial in the south.
Major features of the area include Riversdale Golf Club, Mount Waverley Village Shopping Centre, Pinewood Shopping Centre, Waverley Private Hospital, Bayview Park, Damper Creek Reserve, Essex Heights Reserve, Fairway Reserve, Federal Reserve, Mayfield Park, Mount Waverley Reserve, Pinewood Reserve, Sherwood Park, Tally Ho Reserve, Valley Reserve, Mount Waverley Community Centre, Mount Waverley and Jordanville railway stations and a number of schools.