Service age groups
Lynbrook had a higher proportion of pre-schoolers and a lower proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Casey in 2016.
The Age Structure of Lynbrook provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Lynbrook's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Lynbrook in 2016 compared to City of Casey shows that there was a higher proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a lower proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 30.0% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 10.5% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 26.9% and 14.7% respectively for City of Casey.
The major differences between the age structure of Lynbrook and City of Casey were:
- A larger percentage of 'Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49)' (25.3% compared to 22.0%)
- A larger percentage of 'Primary schoolers (5 to 11)' (12.6% compared to 10.6%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69)' (5.4% compared to 8.1%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Seniors (70 to 84)' (3.5% compared to 5.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, Lynbrook's population increased by 1,733 people (25.6%). This represents an average annual population change of 4.67% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49) (+378 people)
- Tertiary education and independence (18 to 24) (+265 people)
- Primary schoolers (5 to 11) (+246 people)
- Older workers and pre-retirees (50 to 59) (+238 people)