Portsea - Sorrento - Blairgowrie
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Portsea - Sorrento - Blairgowrie is 4,106, with a population density of 1.65 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Portsea - Sorrento - Blairgowrie is bounded by Port Phillip Bay in the north, Canterbury Jetty Road in the east, and Bass Strait in the south and west.
Portsea is named after Portsmouth in England. Sorrento is thought to be named after a place on Dublin Bay.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (25 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1803, being the home of Victoria's first European settlement. Population was minimal until the 1860s and 1870s, with growth mainly in Sorrento. Development of Portsea was slower, driven by the establishment of quarantine, and later military facilities at Point Nepean. The most significant development occurred during the post-war years. The area has a substantially lower occupancy rate than any other area within the Mornington Peninsula Shire, being a popular holiday place. The population fluctuated slightly between 1991 and 2011, due to small changes in dwelling stock and dwelling occupancy rates.
Portsea - Sorrento - Blairgowrie is a predominantly residential area, with a substantial national park in the west, some small commercial areas, and Commonwealth land use. The area has a significant proportion of holiday homes.
Major features of the area include Mornington Peninsula National Park, Point Nepean National Park, Portsea Golf Club, Sorrento Golf Club, Portsea Pier, Sorrento Pier, Sorrento to Queenscliff Ferry, Blairgowrie Safe Boat Harbour, The Portsea Camp, David MacFarlan Reserve, Harry Blythe Playground, Police Point Shire Park, Portsea Recreation Reserve, Sorrento Historic Park, Stringer Road Reserve, Point Nepean, the Port Phillip Bay foreshore, various beaches and a number of schools.