About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for HMAS Cerberus is 1,153, with a population density of 0.75 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
HMAS Cerberus is bounded by Disney Street and the Stony Point railway line in the north, Western Port in the east and south, and South Beach Road and Davies Road in the west.
Cerberus is named for the former flagship of the Victorian Navy, HMVS Cerberus, now a breakwater off Black Rock.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (15 Km2)
persons per hectare
The Naval Base at HMAS Cerberus (originally known as Flinders Naval Depot) was opened in 1920, replacing the former Naval Base at Williamstown. The Base was designed to accommodate up to 2,000 personnel. In recent years the Base has undergone major facilities enhancements and remains the Navy's premier training establishment. The population fluctuated between 1991 and 2011, probably related to the phasing out of apprentice training, the closure of HMAS Nirimba and the introduction of Tri-Service training.
HMAS Cerberus is a naval training and housing base.
Major features of the area include HMAS Cerberus, Cerberus Golf Club, HMAS Cerberus Health Centre and Hanns Inlet.