Tamworth CBD - East Tamworth
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Tamworth CBD - East Tamworth is 6,043, with a population density of 3.58 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Tamworth CBD - East Tamworth is bounded by Daruka Road and the locality of North Tamworth in the north, the localities of Tintinhull and Nemingha in the east, the localities of Calala and South Tamworth in the south, and the Peel River, the railway line, Darling Street and Janison Street in the west.
Tamworth is named after a town in Staffordshire, England.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (17 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1830 when squatters began to settle along the Peel River. The township developed from the 1830s, although growth was minimal until the 1850s and 1860s, spurred by nearby discoveries of gold and the opening up of land. Expansion continued in the 1870s and 1880s, aided by the construction of the railway line. Significant development occurred from the post-war years, particularly during the 1960s and 1970s, with Tamworth developing as a regional centre for north-western New South Wales. The population declined slightly during the 1990s, and then was relatively stable between 2001 and 2011.
Tamworth CBD - East Tamworth is a mixed use area, with commercial areas in the central business district and residential areas in the north-east.
Major features of the area include the Tamworth CBD, the Peel River, Tamworth Regional Botanical Gardens, Tamworth Regional Conservatorium of Music, Tamworth Powerstation Museum, Tamworth Regional Gallery, Weswal Gallery, Tamworth Velodrome, Oxley Lookout, Anzac Park, Arthur Emblen Park, Bicentennial Park, Long Gully Park, Prince of Wales Park, Rotary Park, Treloar Park, Victoria Park, Endeavour Marsupial Park, Tamworth Olympic Swimming Pool, Capitol Theatre, Tamworth Youth Centre, Kamilaroi Walking Track, Council offices, TAFE NSW New England Institute (Tamworth Campus) and numerous schools.
Tamworth CBD - East Tamworth includes the localities of East Tamworth and Tamworth.