Cairns Regional Council area
Occupations of employment
There are more professionals in Cairns Regional Council area than any other occupation.
Cairns Regional Council area's occupation statistics quantify the occupations in which the residents work (which may be within the residing area or elsewhere). This will be influenced by the economic base and employment opportunities available in the area, education levels, and the working and social aspirations of the population. When viewed with other indicators, such as Educational Qualifications and Individual Income, Occupation is a key measure for evaluating Cairns Regional Council area's socio-economic status and skill base.
Derived from the two Census questions:
'In the main job held last week, what was the person's occupation?' and 'What are the main tasks that the person himself/herself usually performs in that occupation?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Occupation of employment|
|Cairns Regional Council area||2011||2006||Change|
|Occupation||Number||%||Regional QLD||Number||%||Regional QLD||2006 to 2011|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||11,896||16.0||16.3||11,375||16.7||16.5||+521||15003|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||9,168||12.3||10.3||7,710||11.3||9.4||+1,458||15004|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||10,577||14.2||13.2||9,470||13.9||13.1||+1,107||15005|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||4,371||5.9||8.2||4,087||6.0||7.8||+284||15007|
|Total employed persons aged 15+||74,516||100.0||100.0||68,062||100.0||100.0||+6,454|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident population in Cairns Regional Council area in 2011 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (12,884 people or 17.3%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (11,896 people or 16.0%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (10,577 people or 14.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 35,357 people in total or 47.4% of the employed resident population.
In comparison, Regional QLD employed 15.6% in Professionals; 16.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 13.2% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the population of Cairns Regional Council area and Regional QLD were:
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (12.3% compared to 10.3%)
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Professionals (17.3% compared to 15.6%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (5.9% compared to 8.2%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Labourers (10.2% compared to 11.9%)
The number of employed people in Cairns Regional Council area increased by 6,454 between 2006 and 2011.
The largest changes in the occupations of residents between 2006 and 2011 in Cairns Regional Council area were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,412 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,458 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+1,107 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+521 persons)