About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Cairns City is 2,890, with a population density of 16.72 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Cairns City is bounded by the Coral Sea in the north, Trinity Inlet in the east, Dutton Street, Spence Street, Bunda Street and the Kuranda railway line in the south, and Upward Street in the west.
Cairns City is named after William Wellington Cairns, former Governor of Queensland.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1876 when a town was established to serve miners heading for the Hodgkinson River goldfield. The main industries to develop were gold mining, timber getting and sugar cane production. Population was minimal until the 1880s and 1890s, with growth aided by the opening of the railway line to Kuranda. With the establishment of port facilities Cairns became a major port for exporting sugar cane, gold, metals, minerals and agricultural products. Expansion continued during the early 1900s, spurred by the opening of the railway line from Brisbane in 1924. The population grew rapidly during the 1970s and 1980s, largely due to the rise in tourism. The population declined significantly during the 1990s, and then increased rapidly from 2001 as large numbers of new dwellings were added to the area, particularly high density housing.
Cairns City is a mixed use area, including commercial, residential, tourist and port land uses.
Major features of the area include the Cairns CBD, Cairns Central (shopping centre), Cairns Night Markets, Rusty’s Markets, Orchid Plaza, The Pier Cairns Shopping Centre, Cairns Marlin Marina, Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal, Cairns Harbour, the Port of Cairns, Cairns Esplanade, Esplanade Lagoon, Bouldering Park, Harbour Walk, Cairns Convention Centre, Cairns Museum, Cairns Art Gallery, Cairns Zoom and Wildlife Dome, Centre of Contemporary Arts Cairns, Cairns Private Hospital, Cairns Table Tennis Stadium, Fogarty Park, Munro Martin Park and St Monica’s College.