Sandringham Village Major Activity Centre
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Sandringham Village Major Activity Centre is 2,249, with a population density of 24.25 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
The Sandringham Major Activity Centre is bounded by Beach Road, Georgiana Street, Henry Street, Bamfield Street and Grange Road in the north, Nelson Street and Bay Road in the east, Sims Street, Fernhill Road and Tennyson Street in the south, and the Port Phillip Bay foreshore in the west.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1852 when the first land sales were made, with many market gardens established from the 1860s. Population was minimal until the late 1800s, aided by the extension of the railway line in 1887. Growth took place during the late 1800s and early 1900s, with rapid development during the 1920s and 1930s. The population generally increased gradually between 1991 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area, particularly medium and high density housing.
The Sandringham Major Activity Centre is an established mixed use area, with residential, retail, office and recreational land use.
Major features of the area include the retail and commercial areas along Bay Street and around the railway station, Sandringham Beach, Hampton Sailing Club, Sandringham Yacht Club, Sandringham Life Saving Club, Sandringham Croquet Club, Sandringham Club, Bamfield Street Park, Picnic Gardens, Trevor Barker Beach Oval, Trey Bit Reserve, Picnic Point, the Port Phillip Bay foreshore, Sacred Heart Parish School, Sandringham Primary School and the Sandringham railway station.
The Sandringham Major Activity Centre encompasses part of the suburb of Sandringham.