About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Sandringham is 10,694, with a population density of 28.99 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Sandringham is bounded by Bridge Street and Highett Road in the north, Bluff Road, Bay Road and George Street in the east, Tulip Street, Bluff Road and Edward Street in the south, and the Port Phillip Bay foreshore in the west.
Sandringham is named after the Prince of Wales' Sandringham House. It was previously known as Gipsy Village.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1852 when a land speculator, Josiah Holloway, attempted to sell off allotments. Market gardens were established in the 1860s and 1870s. Growth was minimal until the late 1800s, spurred by the extension of the railway line in 1887. Expansion continued during the early 1900s, with rapid growth during the 1920s and 1930s. The population increased slightly from the early 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Sandringham is an established residential area, with some commercial areas.
Major features of the area include Sandringham Beach, the commercial areas along Bay Road and around the railway station, Sandringham Hospital, Bayside City Council Corporate Centre, Hampton Sailing Club, Sandringham Yacht Club, Sandringham Golf Driving Range, Bay Road Heathland Sanctuary, A J Steele Reserve, Allambee Park, Bamfield Street Park, George Street Reserve, John Batman Gardens, Merindah Park, Picnic Gardens, Pobblebonk Park, R.G. Chisholm Reserve, Royal Avenue Parkland, Tjilatjirrin Reserve, Trevor Barker Beach Oval, Trey Bit Reserve, Picnic Point, the Sandringham railway station, the Port Phillip Bay foreshore and several schools.