About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Brighton is 24,536, with a population density of 26.16 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Brighton is bounded by Head Street, St Kilda Street and Glen Huntly Road in the north, the Nepean Highway and Hampton Street in the east, South Road and New Street in the south, and the Port Phillip Bay foreshore in the west.
Brighton is named after a place in Sussex, England.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (8 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1841, when land was sold by the government to Henry Dendy. A town was surveyed, characterised by the distinctive crescent-shaped street layout which remains today. However, purchasers were few and land sales failed. Growth took place from the 1860s, aided by the opening of railway lines, with many market gardens established. Expansion continued during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Development resumed during the post-war years. The population increased slightly from the mid 1990s, largely a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Brighton is an established residential area, with several commercial areas.
Major features of the area include Middle Brighton Beach, Dendy Street Beach, Seacombe Grove Beach, Middle Brighton Baths, Brighton Bathing Boxes, Elsternwick Park, Elsternwick Golf Course, Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Bayside Arts & Cultural Centre, Brighton Clocktower Theatre, Brighton Town Hall, Epworth Rehabilitation Centre, Brighton Beach Oval, Elsternwick Oval, Hanby Street Reserve, Kamesburgh Gardens, North Road Reserve, Robert C Grieve Reserve, Whyte Street Reserve, William Street Reserve, Wilson Reserve, shopping areas along Church Street (Middle Brighton), Bay Street (North Brighton) and Martin Street (Gardenvale), Brighton Grammar School, Firbank Grammar School and a number of other schools.