City of BoroondaraCommunity profile
Skip to content

The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Balwyn is 14,145, with a population density of 31.66 persons per hectare.

Location and boundaries

Balwyn is bounded by Belmore Road in the north, Evelina Street, Kerry Parade, Kinsale Crescent, Carrick Street, Carlyle Crescent and Barloa Road in the east, a line that runs east-west to the north of Whitehorse Road, a line that runs parallel to the east of Northcote Avenue and a line that runs east-west to the north of Mont Albert Road in the south, and Highton Grove, Chatfield Avenue, Maleela Avenue, Whitehorse Road, Hardwicke Street, Gordon Street and Burke Road in the west.

Name origin

Balwyn is named after an early property in the area, which was thought to be named from the Gaelic "bal" and the Saxon "wyn".

Settlement history

Settlement of the area dates from 1841, with land used mainly for farming and grazing. Gradual growth took place from the mid to late 1800s, with several vineyards planted during this time. Expansion continued during the early 1900s and the interwar period. Growth resumed during the post-war years. The population increased slightly between 1991 and 2006 as new dwellings were added to the area, and then was relatively stable between 2006 and 2011, due to little change in dwelling stock.

Land use

Balwyn is a predominantly residential area.

Major features

Major features of the area include the Balwyn shopping area on Whitehorse Road, Balwyn Park, Beckett Park, Belmont Park, Maranoa Gardens, Minifie Reserve, Mont Albert Park, Fintona Girls School and several other schools.