About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Fitzroy is 11,531, with a population density of 73.26 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Fitzroy is bounded by Alexandra Parade in the north, Smith Street in the east, Victoria Parade in the south, and Nicholson Street in the west.
Fitzroy is named after Sir Charles Fitz Roy, Governor of New South Wales from 1846 to 1855.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates from 1839, when land was subdivided into 12 hectare lots. Building types were a mixture of mansions, terraces and working men's housing, being close to local industries. Significant development occurred during the 1880s and 1890s, with the area becoming increasingly working class as many mansions were converted into boarding houses. St Vincent's Hospital was constructed during the 1890s. Public housing was first built in the 1950s, with a high-rise estate in 1971. Since the Second World War, the area has attracted new migrants such as Italians and Greeks in the 1960s, and more recently migrants from Asia and Africa. Between 1947 and 1991 the population of the area nearly halved. In the 1970s secular welfare organisations were created. These included the Fitzroy Legal Service, as well as the Aboriginal Legal Service, the Aboriginal Health Service and the Aboriginal Child Care Agency in recognition of the local indigenous population. Gentrification occurred in area during the 1980s and 1990s. The population was relatively stable during the 1990s, and then increased slightly between 2001 and 2011, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Fitzroy is a mixed-use area, with residential, commercial and light industrial areas. Most dwellings are medium or high density.
Major features of the area include Australian Catholic University, St Vincent's Hospital, St Vincents & Mercy Private Hospital, Fitzroy Swimming Pool, Fitzroy Town Hall, Atherton Reserve, Smith Reserve, the Brunswick Street and Smith Street shopping strips, Academy of Mary Immaculate Secondary College, Fitzroy Primary School and Sacred Heart Primary School.