About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Central Richmond is 14,190, with a population density of 64.52 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Central Richmond is bounded by Bridge Road in the north, the Yarra River in the east, Swan Street in the south, and Punt Road in the west.
Richmond is named after Richmond Hill in England.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates from 1839 when land was subdivided into 12 hectare allotments, most being purchased by speculators. Some of this land (Richmond Hill) was further subdivided into smaller allotments soon after this. The remaining land (from Punt Road to Church Street) was not sold until the 1860s. Significant development occurred during the 1870s and 1880s, with schools built, and industries such as tanneries, brickworks, quarries, wool washing and hotels. Many workmen's cottages were constructed during this period. By the start of the 1900s several significant industries were operating in the area. From the 1960s to the early 1990s the population began to decline as previously crowded family cottages were purchased by gentrifying young singles and couples. The population increased from the mid 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Central Richmond is a residential and commercial area.
Major features of the area include Burnley Park, Burnley Oval, Bridge Road and Swan Street shopping strips, Royal Melbourne Tennis Club, Dame Nellie Melba Memorial Park, St Kevin's College (Waterford Campus) and Melbourne Girls College.
Central Richmond is the central part of the suburb of Richmond.