Highest level of schooling
In Broadmeadows 34% of people aged over 15 years have completed Year 12 schooling (or equivalent).
Broadmeadows's school completion data is a useful indicator of socio-economic status. With other indicators, such as Proficiency in English, the data informs planners and decision-makers about people's ability to access services. Combined with Educational Qualifications it also allows assessment of the skill base of the population.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the highest year of primary or secondary school the person has completed?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Highest level of secondary schooling completed|
|Broadmeadows - Total persons (Enumerated)||2011||2006||Change|
|Level of schooling||Number||%||Hume City||Number||%||Hume City||2006 to 2011|
|Year 8 or below||1,116||13.8||8.9||6001||1,198||16.1||10.3||-82|
|Year 9 or equivalent||679||8.4||7.3||6002||776||10.4||8.2||-97|
|Year 10 or equivalent||1,076||13.3||16.0||6003||1,142||15.4||17.2||-66|
|Year 11 or equivalent||741||9.2||13.4||6004||704||9.5||14.6||+37|
|Year 12 or equivalent||2,759||34.1||43.8||6005||2,155||29.0||37.8||+603|
|Did not go to school||361||4.5||2.3||6006||327||4.4||2.3||+34|
|Total persons aged 15+||8,082||100.0||100.0||7,436||100.0||100.0||+645|
Analysis of the highest level of schooling attained by the population in Broadmeadows in 2011 compared to Hume City shows that there was a higher proportion of people who had left school at an early level (Year 10 or less) and a lower proportion of people who completed Year 12 or equivalent.
Overall, 40.0% of the population left school at Year 10 or below, and 34.1% went on to complete Year 12 or equivalent, compared with 34.5% and 43.8% respectively for Hume City.
The major differences between the level of schooling attained by the population in Broadmeadows and Hume City were:
- A larger percentage of persons who completed year 8 or below (13.8% compared to 8.9%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 12 or equivalent (34.1% compared to 43.8%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 11 or equivalent (9.2% compared to 13.4%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 10 or equivalent (13.3% compared to 16.0%)
The largest changes in the level of schooling attained by the population in Broadmeadows, between 2006 and 2011 were:
- Year 12 or equivalent (+603 persons)
- Year 9 or equivalent (-97 persons)
- Year 8 or below (-82 persons)
- Year 10 or equivalent (-66 persons)