Highest level of schooling
In Broadmeadows 34% of people aged over 15 years have completed Year 12 schooling (or equivalent).
Broadmeadows's school completion data is a useful indicator of socio-economic status. With other indicators, such as Proficiency in English, the data informs planners and decision-makers about people's ability to access services. Combined with Educational Qualifications it also allows assessment of the skill base of the population.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the highest year of primary or secondary school the person has completed?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Highest level of secondary schooling completed|
|Level of schooling||Number||%||Hume City||Number||%||Hume City||2006 to 2011|
|Year 8 or below||1,114||13.7||8.9||6001||1,204||16.1||10.3||-89|
|Year 9 or equivalent||692||8.5||7.3||6002||776||10.4||8.2||-84|
|Year 10 or equivalent||1,090||13.4||16.0||6003||1,161||15.5||17.2||-72|
|Year 11 or equivalent||730||9.0||13.4||6004||720||9.6||14.7||+10|
|Year 12 or equivalent||2,779||34.2||43.7||6005||2,156||28.8||37.7||+623|
|Did not go to school||365||4.5||2.3||6006||330||4.4||2.3||+35|
|Total persons aged 15+||8,139||100.0||100.0||7,485||100.0||100.0||+654|
Analysis of the highest level of schooling attained by the population in Broadmeadows in 2011 compared to Hume City shows that there was a higher proportion of people who had left school at an early level (Year 10 or less) and a lower proportion of people who completed Year 12 or equivalent.
Overall, 40.1% of the population left school at Year 10 or below, and 34.2% went on to complete Year 12 or equivalent, compared with 34.5% and 43.7% respectively for Hume City.
The major differences between the level of schooling attained by the population in Broadmeadows and Hume City were:
- A larger percentage of persons who completed year 8 or below (13.7% compared to 8.9%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 12 or equivalent (34.2% compared to 43.7%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 11 or equivalent (9.0% compared to 13.4%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 10 or equivalent (13.4% compared to 16.0%)
The largest changes in the level of schooling attained by the population in Broadmeadows, between 2006 and 2011 were:
- Year 12 or equivalent (+623 persons)
- Year 8 or below (-89 persons)
- Year 9 or equivalent (-84 persons)
- Year 10 or equivalent (-72 persons)