Phillip Island Balance
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Phillip Island Balance is 2,057, with a population density of 0.94 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Phillip Island Balance encompasses the central part of Phillip Island. Phillip Island Balance is bounded by Settlement Road and the locality of Silverleaves in the north, Western Port Bay in the east, the locality of Newhaven, Phillip Island Road and Bass Strait in the south, and the locality of Ventnor, Back Beach Road, the locality of Cowes, Phillip Island Road and Coghlan Road in the west.
Phillip Island is named after Captain Arthur Phillip, the first Governor of New South Wales.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (22 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1826 when a temporary British settlement was established at Rhyll, although permanent population was minimal until 1856. Land was used mainly for grazing. Substantial growth did not occur until the 1920s, spurred by tourism. Significant development took place from the 1940s, due to the improved access to Phillip Island brought about by the construction of the first bridge, with growth particularly from the 1970s. The population increased substantially during the 1990s, declined marginally between 2001 and 2006 as dwelling occupancy rates declined, and increased again between 2006 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area and occupancy rates increased.
Phillip Island Balance encompasses residential, resort and rural areas.
Major features of the area include Rhyll Wetland & Bird Sanctuary, Churchill Island Marine National Park, Cowes Golf Club, Koala Conservation Centre, David Forrest Koala Reserve, Oswin Roberts Koala Reserve, Conservation Hill Reserve, Mitchell Reserve, Mutton Bird Colony & Rookeries, Rusty Water Brewery and various beaches.
Phillip Island Balance includes the localities of Rhyll, Smiths Beach, Sunderland Bay, Sunset Strip and Surf Beach.