About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for North Richmond is 13,295, with a population density of 61.57 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
North Richmond is bounded by Victoria Street in the north, the Yarra River in the east, Bridge Road in the south, and Hoddle Street in the west.
Richmond is named after Richmond Hill in England.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates from 1839 when land was subdivided into 12 hectare allotments, most being purchased by speculators. Some of this land (Richmond Hill) was further subdivided into smaller allotments soon after this. The remaining land (from Punt Road to Church Street) was not sold until the 1860s. Significant development occurred during the 1870s and 1880s, with schools built, and industries such as tanneries, brickworks, quarries, wool washing and hotels. Many workmen's cottages were constructed during this period. By the start of the 1900s several significant industries were operating in the area. The first high-rise public housing project was built during the 1960s, later becoming part of the housing area occupied by immigrants from South East Asia. From the 1960s to the early 1990s the population began to decline as previously crowded family cottages were purchased by gentrifying young singles and couples. The population declined slightly during the 1990s, and then increased slightly between 2001 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area.
North Richmond is a predominantly residential area.
Major features of the area include Epworth Hospital, The Melbourne Clinic, Richmond Plaza, Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre, the Bridge Road and Victoria Street shopping strips, Richmond Town Hall, North Richmond Community Health Centre, Richmond Pool & Recreation Centre, Council Offices, Citizens Park (Richmond Oval), Richmond West Primary School, Yarra Primary School, Trinity Catholic School and Lynall Hall Community School.
North Richmond is the northern part of the suburb of Richmond.