Carlton North - Princes Hill
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Carlton North - Princes Hill is 9,017, with a population density of 57.19 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Carlton North - Princes Hill is bounded by Park Street in the north, Nicholson Street in the east, Princes Street and Macpherson Street in the south, and Garton Street and Bowen Crescent in the west.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates from the mid 1850s when a penal stockade and bluestone quarry were established. Much of the area was subdivided in 1869, with the last subdivision in 1879 at Princes Hill. The settlement was almost all residential, with most of it two storeyed or terraced brick houses. There were three tram services established in the late 1880s and early 1900s, and a train service (inner circle railway) at the very north from 1888 to 1948. In 1983 the North Carlton railway station was made a community centre, and a linear park was created along the former train line. The population increased slightly during the 1990s, and then was relatively stable between 2001 and 2011, a result of few new dwellings being added to the area.
Carlton North - Princes Hill is a predominantly residential area. The area is notable for its accessibility to tertiary institutions in central Melbourne, with almost one in five of the residents studying at university.
Major features of the area include Curtain Square, Hardy Gallagher Reserve, Princes Hill Secondary College, Carlton North Primary School and Princes Hill Primary School.
A parkland section of the suburb of Carlton North is located in the City of Melbourne.