About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Fitzroy North is 12,360, with a population density of 47.62 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Fitzroy North is bounded by May Street in the north, the Yarra River, Queens Parade and Smith Street in the east, Alexandra Parade in the south, and Nicholson Street in the west.
Fitzroy North is named for the area north of Fitzroy, which was named after Sir Charles Fitz Roy, Governor of New South Wales from 1846 to 1855.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (3 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates from the 1850s when the area was laid out, largely to a government survey design, although allotments were not sold until the 1860s and 1870s. The Old Colonists Association developed a site known as Rushall from 1869, built primarily for elderly Port Phillip pioneers and retired actors. Significant development occurred in the 1870s and 1880s, including the construction of churches and schools. Edinburgh Gardens was created for public use, with a sports oval which was the home ground of the Fitzroy Football Club until 1967. The population increased slightly from the early 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Fitzroy North is a predominantly residential area, with some commercial land use.
Major features of the area include Edinburgh Gardens, W T Peterson Community Oval, Fitzroy High School, Simonds Catholic College (St Brigid's VCE Campus), Fitzroy North Primary School and Merri Creek Primary School.