About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Collingwood is 8,435, with a population density of 58.18 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Collingwood is bounded by Alexandra Parade in the north, Hoddle Street in the east, Victoria Parade in the south, and Smith Street in the west.
Collingwood is named after Admiral Lord Collingwood, who fought at Trafalgar.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates from 1838 when land was subdivided into allotments of about 12 hectares. Settlement intensified after the gold rush, and as the area was exempt from building control laws, many cheap houses were built on small blocks of land. Growth continued in the 1850s and 1860s, including industries such as a flour mill and wool washing. Employment was concentrated in local factories such as footwear, hats and garment making. The population nearly doubled from 1871 to 1891. The area was the State's second largest brewing centre, with Fosters Brewery constructed in 1888 and the Yorkshire Brewery. A train service from the city was built in 1901, opening Collingwood's factories to a wider workforce. A tram also ran along Johnston Street from 1887 to 1939. Public housing estates were built from 1958, originally demolishing cottages to build 3 storey housing blocks, but later, between 1967 and 1971, for 20 storey blocks. Many migrants moved into the area during the 1960s and 1970s. The population was relatively stable during the 1990s, and then increased between 2001 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Collingwood is an established industrial and residential area.
Major features of the area include Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE (Collingwood Campus), English Language School, Smith Street shopping strip, Dight Street Community Centre, Victoria Police Workshop, Neighbourhood Justice Centre, Smith Reserve, Collingwood College and St Joseph's Primary School.