About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Clifton Hill is 6,677, with a population density of 35.51 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Clifton Hill is bounded by Merri Creek and Heidelberg Road in the north and east, the Eastern Freeway and Alexandra Parade in the south, and Smith Street and Queens Parade in the west.
Clifton Hill is named after Clifton Farm which was once located in the area.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates from 1840. A basalt quarry operated in Clifton Hill from the 1850s through to the 1950s. Early land uses included horse agistment, market gardens and vineyards. Land sales began in 1864. Much development occurred from the 1870s to 1890s, aided by construction of the railway line in the late 1880s. The area underwent moderate gentrification from the 1970s. The population generally increased from the early 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area.
Clifton Hill is an established residential and industrial area, with significant amounts of open space.
Major features of the area include Collingwood Leisure Centre, Organ Factory Community Centre, Darling Gardens, Mayors Park, Quarries Park, Hall Reserve, Ramsden Street Reserve, the Capital City Trail, Clifton Hill Primary School, Spensley Street Primary School and St John's Catholic Primary School.