About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Abbotsford is 8,110, with a population density of 40.45 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Abbotsford is bounded by the Eastern Freeway in the north, the Yarra River in the east, Victoria Street in the south, and Hoddle Street in the west.
Abbotsford is named after a property in Kew.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates from the 1850s when land was auctioned on the river bank. The Convent of the Good Shepherd was built in 1864, later being enlarged to become a home for girls. Victoria Park was built in 1892, being home to the Collingwood football club until 1999. The Abbotsford Brewery (Carlton & United Breweries) was opened in 1904. In the 1980s the Convent became an Institute for Childhood Development, then a campus of La Trobe University, and was recently redeveloped as an Arts Precinct. The population increased from the mid 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area, and following the process of gentrification, which has been occurring since the 1980s.
Abbotsford is a predominantly residential and industrial area, with industry located mainly on the western side, near the Yarra River, and some commercial land use along Victoria Street.
Major features of the area include Abbotsford Convent Arts Precinct, Collingwood Children's Farm, Collingwood Town Hall, Abbotsford Brewery, Victoria Park, Dights Falls Park, Browns Reserve, Gahan Reserve, Hive Shopping Centre, Abbotsford Primary School and Sophia Mundi Steiner School.