About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Tahmoor is 5,150, with a population density of 3.03 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Tahmoor is bounded by Myrtle Creek in the north, the Nepean River in the east, the Bargo River and the locality of Buxton in the south, and the localities of Couridjah and Thirlmere in the west.
Tahmoor is thought to be named from an Aboriginal word for the bronze-winged pigeon. It was originally known as Bargo South.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (17 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1820s when the first land grants were made. Land was used mainly for farms and orchards, with some timber-getting and vineyards. Some growth took place in the 1860s, with expansion from 1917, following the opening of the two track railway line. The township grew slowly, with the most significant development between the 1950s and the 1970s. Growth slowed from the 1970s, when the town was bypassed by the new Freeway. However, growth continued with the opening of a major coal mine just south of the town. The population increased gradually from the early 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area.
Tahmoor is a mainly residential area, with some commercial land use along Remembrance Drive.
Major features of the area include Tahmoor Shopping Centre, Tahmoor Regional Sporting Complex, Wollondilly Pony Club, Tahmoor House, Tahmoor Park, York Street Park, Halls Reserve, Progress Street Park, Samuel Emmett Reserve, Lions Gardens, Tahmoor Colliery and one school.