Picton - Mowbray Park - Maldon
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Picton - Mowbray Park - Maldon is 5,221, with a population density of 0.99 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Picton - Mowbray Park - Maldon is bounded by the localities of The Oaks and Mount Hunter in the north, the locality of Razorback and the main southern railway line in the east, the Nepean River, the localities of Tahmoor and Thirlmere and the Cedar and Stonequarry Creeks in the south, and the localities of Lakesland and Oakdale in the west.
Picton was previously known as Stonequarry. Mowbray Park was named after an early property in the area. Maldon is thought to be named after a town in Essex, England.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (53 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1820s, with land used mainly for farming. The township of Picton was established in 1841. Some growth took place from the 1860s to the 1890s, following the opening of the railway line. Picton developed as the main administrative centre of Wollondilly Shire. Significant development occurred during the post-war years. The population increased from the early 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area. The population is expected to continue to increase, particularly from the Stonequarry development.
Picton - Mowbray Park - Maldon is a mainly rural area, with an urban centre in Picton, and some commercial and industrial areas.
Major features of the area include the Picton CBD, Picton Mall Shopping Centre, Antill Park Country Golf Club, Wollondilly Community Leisure Centre, Shire offices, Picton Kart Track, Picton Botanical Gardens, Glenrock Reserve, Hume Oval, Redbank Reserve, Victoria Park and a number of schools.